The agriculture program in the El Paso County provides research-based information and education for agricultural producers, agribusiness, consumers and citizens. The agriculture program disseminates expert, reliable and current educational information in the areas of commercial agriculture; dairy nutrition and health; community development; and 4-H and youth development.
The agriculture programs offer education that transfers new knowledge and technologies from research to users, enhances communities and the environment, and enables the agricultural community to sustain in a rapidly changing economy. The County Extension Agent-Agriculture serves as a community educator. The agent is supported by extension specialists who provide current research applications and educational material. These specialists are located on the Texas A&M University campus and at district research and extension centers across the state.
- The agriculture section reached 25,000 youth and adults through Kids & Kows & More educational expo.
- The agriculture section made over 1,800 contacts with urban and agricultural clientele by individual means.
- Made over 150,000 urban contacts through nutritional placemat distribution in many local restaurants. As many as 70,000 contacts made through other indirect methods.
- The agriculture agent has been involved with 6 television interviews and has released 3 news articles.
- Provided public educational workshops and seminars on a variety of agriculture issues.
- Assisted in the identification and safe control of agricultural pests.
Jaime Iglesias, Ph.D.
County Extension Agent-Agriculture and Natural Resources
9521 Socorro Road
Suite A2 – Box2
El Paso, TX 79927
Ph: (915) 860-2515
Fx: (915) 860-2536